Q: How do I get an Ontario Outdoors card?


Our licenses are now a two-part system and you will have to have an Ontario outdoors card in order to obtain a fishing license tag. If you have fished in Ontario in 2009 and beyond, you should have been mailed an Ontario Outdoors card. The cards are valid for 3 years from the date of purchase, so keep your Ontario outdoors card and bring it with you on your next fishing trip. Cards are available for purchase along with a fishing license tag at the River Air airbase in Minaki.

Q: What do I do if I loose my Ontario Outdoors card?


Those who have lost their card or need one for the first time can purchase them along with a fishing license tag at the River Air airbase in Minaki.

Q: What kind of fishing license should I get?


We have for sale at The Outpost Company 8 day conservation fishing licenses. This license should suffice for most trips with us. If your trip is longer than a week or you will be on more that one fishing trip, we also have available seasonal fishing licenses. Any children (for non residents) in your group do not require a license if fishing with a licensed adult, however, the limit on the one license must be adhered to. We recommend that non resident children go out fishing with their own fishing license.

Q: Can I use my hair dryer with the solar electricity system?


NO! The solar power system is not designed to handle any type of electrical appliances that produce heat or have a blower fan such as hair dryers, space heaters, toasters and automatic coffee makers. The solar system is in place for lighting and convenience purposes. Any heating or blower devices will completely deplete the solar power system , leaving you without lights or it will kick out the system altogether. If you have to call an airplane into your outpost to repair the solar system due to the use of these types of items, it can get quite costly. Please leave these items at home!

Q: What happens if I am over my 100 lb per person weight limit?


Please adhere to this weight limit. If you are over your limit, it will mean a larger airplane at an increased cost to your group, or the need to charter an extra flight altogether. The following are a few suggestions to help you pack.

Fishing gear: There is really no need to bring an old, heavy, large tackle box filled with a whole bunch of tackle that you will not need. A handy item is a smaller tackle bag with removable compartment boxes. Fill up each box with lures for different angling needs, and you are set to go.

Clothing: We suggest that you invest in a good rainsuit, as well as light weight clothing that can be layered up for warmth or removed as required, and a pair of thermal underwear if coming early in the spring or late in the fall. There is a good variety of “fishing apparel” on the market, that include lightweight clothes that are designed to be quick drying as well as offering protection from the sun. Zip off pants and 2 in one jackets are also a great idea.

Food: Tinned foods are heavy as is bottled water, sodas, and beer! We provide all of your ice as well as drinking water in the cabins in 5 gallon jugs. If you would like to bring a small case of individual bottled water that can be refilled from the water provided, this is ok. Any beer brought into the outposts must be canned beer, not bottled. Canned vegetables such as potatoes should be kept to a minimum. Fresh veggies and fruits are lighter, and powdered mashed potato mixes and other dried foods are tasty and work well.

Q: What are the best types of fishing lures to use?

  • Small Mouth Bass: spinners, top water lures, ounce jigs w/twister tails.
  • Walleye: 3/8-ounce jigs w/twister tails, crank bait, jig and a minnow.
  • Northern: spoons, bucktails, shad raps, trolling lures
  • Trout: ultralite lures, ultralite spoons, 3 way swivels.

At Sharpstone Lake we suggest lead heads with twister tails, spoons, spinners or crank bait. The walleye and northern will bite on all of these lures. There is no live bait used on the Berens River.

Q: I have a previous DUI (minor offence). What do I need to do to cross the border into Canada?


In Canada, driving while under the influence is considered a criminal offence. If your DUI is older than 10 years with no other offences, then you are deemed rehabilitated and should have no difficulties crossing the border.

If your DUI is less than 10 years old, but not less than 5 years old, there are certain steps that you can and need to take to apply for rehabilitation and admissibility into Canada.

Due to improved screening at the borders, even though you may have been able to cross into Canada in prior years, you may be subject to additional questioning and difficulties at the border. Also, it is quite important that you are honest and forthright regarding minor offences such as DUI’s. It is much better to volunteer information than to conceal it.

For more information on admissibility. please feel free to contact us and we will get you in touch with the proper agencies. For further assistance people can also contact:

Northern Ontario Tourist Outfitters Association (N.O.T.O.)
386 Algonquin Avenue
North Bay, ON, Canada P1B 4W3
Phone 1-705-472-5552. Fax 1-705-472-0621.
Email: [email protected]

Q: What are the usual wait times at the borders?


Border wait times vary throughout the summer. The Canada Border Services Agency has a quick link for border wait times. Fort Frances is usually a very busy border. Other convenient border crossings for guests driving from the Midwest States are located at Emerson MB and Pembina ND, and at Rainy River ON and Baudette MN.

Q: What ID do I need to get into Canada?


Air Travel

All persons traveling by air outside of the United States are required to present a passport or other valid travel document to enter or re-enter the United States.

Land/Sea Travel

On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document.
CHILDREN: U.S. citizen children under the age of 16 will be able to present the original or copy of their birth certificate, or other proof of citizenship such as a naturalization certificate or citizenship card. More information on US Passport requirements can be found at http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/visit.html

Q: I have children in my group that are traveling without their parents or only one parent. What do I need to do?


Minor children travelling without their parents or only one parent MUST have a notarized letter of consent to travel into Canada from the parent remaining at home, as well as some form of identification, such as a birth certificate. Children will also require passports If traveling by air.

Q: What kind of rain gear should I pack?


In most circumstances a good lightweight rainsuit should suffice. Pack a couple of ponchos for any kids in your group.

Q: If I am flying on a commercial airline to Winnipeg and then taking your amphibious caravan to the lodge, how do I find your airplane?


After you land at the Winnipeg Interrnational Airport, you need to collect your luggage and clear customs. Once this is done, proceed to the greeting lounge area, and one of our staff members will meet your group there. He or she will be holding a sign with Halley’s Camps and your party name on it. Our airplane pickup point is just a short 10 minute drive from the Winnipeg International Airport, courtesy of Halley’s Camps and The Outpost Company.

Q: What happens if my airline loses my luggage?


In the event that your airline loses your luggage, report the missing luggage to the customer service desk, and leave The Outpost Company as a contact. Upon retrieval of the luggage, the airline will contact us and make arrangements to deliver the luggage to Kenora, either to the Kenora Airport, the Bus Depot, or by chartered car if there is already a car making the trip. We will then pick up your luggage and deliver it directly to you.Lost luggage does happen from time to time. If you have anything that you absolutely must have, PACK IT IN YOUR CARRY-ON! This includes your MEDICATION!

Q: Where can I stay in Kenora if I need to get a hotel?


There are many great places to stay while visiting the Kenora area. The following is a short list of a few places around the city for your convenience, or, if there is somewhere else that you would like to stay or you want to get a room in Minaki please give us a call and we can help you out.